The IRIL directorate is responsible for providing information and support to current and prospective international students, establishing links between the university and industry, collaborating with local and international institutions in areas of applied research and knowledge transfer, and providing technical assistance on all matters relating to foreign travels for staff and students.
The Directorate is headed by a Director who reports directly to the Vice-Chancellor. The Director is assisted in his/her duties by a Board (called the IRIL Board) made up of all the Vice-Deans of all the Faculties in the University. The Board provides advice and direction to the Director.
Some of the key functions of the directorate include the following:
- Scout for credible institutions for collaboration; prepare Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for partnership agreements with potential Partner universities for academic, research and industrial collaborations; interact with existing collaborating partners and seek opportunities to implement joint activities for mutual benefits.
- Provide information and support to current and prospective international students on issues such as visas and resident permits, programmes of study and other study-related issues, etc.
- Provide technical assistance to staff and students who travel abroad for further studies and other official assignments.
- Host and plan a programme of activities for delegations from existing or potential Partner Universities.
- Organize sponsored foreign trips for staff members by arranging for the booking and purchase of flight tickets, payment of hotel and conference fees, etc.
- Attend to other duties as may be advised by the Vice-Chancellor, and the IRIL Board, and also contribute to some university statutory meetings on the invitation.
KTU believes that the goals of higher education (teaching/learning, research/discovery, and community engagement) can be better achieved by committing to strong collaborations with other academic institutions and industries. KTU, therefore, seeks to collaborate with interested institutions and industries for cooperation in relevant areas such as:
- Study/Work Abroad
- Continuation of Study
- Joint Research/Grant Application
- Joint Degrees
- Staff Mobility
- Staff Capacity Building
It is important to note that the respective responsibilities of KTU, the Partner University, and the staff/student involved (where applicable) will vary depending on the type of collaboration. There are also variations in the complexity of the partnerships and in the time required for the development and establishment of partnerships. A proposed partnership may combine more than one type of collaboration.
Study/Work Abroad (Student Exchange)
Study/Work Abroad is an opportunity for students to study or do internships abroad whilst undertaking their programme of study. Study Abroad can be both incoming and outgoing in the form of Bilateral Exchange or one-way Study Abroad. KTU has exchange agreements in place which allow students to study for an academic semester or year in some of its existing Partner universities (International Exchange Programme). Arrangements normally involve credit accumulation and transfer, so that credit achieved for the approved study at the first institution (KTU or Partner University) is transferred to contribute to the programme and award completed at the second institution (Partner University or KTU).
Work Abroad programmes, which can also be both incoming and outgoing in the form of Bilateral Exchange or one-way, allow students to undertake internships and industrial attachments in the Partner University’s country (or in Ghana, in the case of students from a Partner University). The Assessment made on the intern is transferrable and acceptable as being part of the partial requirement for the award of KTU degree or that of the Partner University.
Joint Research/Grant Application
KTU and the Partner University jointly develop and deliver a research programme or jointly develop proposals for grant applications in areas of mutual interest. The responsibilities of each Institution in financial, administrative and quality assurance matters, etc. are spelt out in the write-up. The research report (in the case of joint research) or document (in the case of Grant Proposals) makes reference to the input of the partner institution(s).
KTU and the Partner University(ies) jointly develop and deliver a taught programme leading to a single award from all participating institutions (joint award). One University takes the lead in financial, administrative and quality assurance matters. The award makes reference to the input of the partner institution(s).
Continuation of Study
Under this model, students from KTU are admitted to another University in advance (prior to their completion of KTU study). Commonly known as 3+2 or 3+3 arrangement (other combinations are possible) where a student studies for 3 years at KTU and enters the Partner University for a further 2 years or 3 years to qualify with a KTU Higher National Diploma Certificate and a Master’s Degree from the Partner University. Other options are available for students to transfer credits from other Universities and be admitted to KTU for further studies to attain a KTU degree. KTU would assess the curriculum, academic standards, and student assessment, among others, of the identified programme at the partner or other University to ensure that such standards and arrangements conform to those of KTU.
KTU authorizes an approved Partner University to deliver (and sometimes access) part or all of an approved KTU programme, which leads to a KTU award. KTU could also deliver (and sometimes access) part or all of an approved Partner University’s programme, which leads to the Partner University’s award.
Staff mobility provides an opportunity for staff to spend a short period in another institution (normally overseas) to conduct field research, learn about new cultures and share expertise with contemporaries in teaching, research, or administration. Staff mobility can have an important role in capacity building with partner institutions and can provide an important staff development opportunity for the individuals concerned.
Staff Capacity Building
A strong academic staff is a fuel that enhances any University’s ability to develop its own intellectual resources, promote innovation and knowledge, and optimize its capacity. KTU is open to a range of capacity-building partnerships, especially in the training of staff to attain a Ph.D. or Master’s Degree. These partnerships lead to mutually rewarding agreements and can provide access to international networks and expertise, expand education and research activities in Partner Universities, enhance global and developmental perspectives, and provide institutional, personal, and career development opportunities.
CURRENT PARTNER UNIVERSITIES
Our current collaborative partners include:
Ghana and Africa
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana
- Technical Universities and Polytechnics in Ghana
- University of Benin, Nigeria
- Plateau State Polytechnic, Nigeria
- Auchie Polytechnic, Nigeria
- Technical University of Kenya
- Kenyatta University, Kenya
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya
- Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Regensburg Technical University (OTH), Germany
- Technische Hochschule Mittelhessen (University THM), Germany
- TH Köln – University of Applied Sciences in Cologne, Germany
- Wismar University of Applied Science Technology, Business and Design, Germany
- Leipzig University, Germany
- Gissen University of Applied Science, Germany
- University of Portsmouth, UK
- McGill University, Canada
- North Carolina Agricultural and Technology State University, USA
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- The University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, China
- Liaocheng University, China
- Jiangsu University, China
- Nanjing University of Information Science & Technology, China
- Amity University, India
Any organization, academic institution, or individual academics interested in partnering with us and who wish for more information about specific agreements should contact the details below.