(1) There shall be a Director of Works and Physical Development who shall be appointed by Council. He shall under the Vice Chancellor be responsible for the overall development and maintenance of the physical environment of the University and the provision of essential services in an efficient and effective manner.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, he shall be specifically responsible for:
(a) the supervision of works and contracts to ensure that construction and renovations are in consonance with prevailing industry standards and specifications, taking due cognisance of the needs and requirements of the University;
(b) the management of construction contracts with a view to ensuring compliance and due delivery of projects;
(c) the procurement of consultancy services relating to the provision of technical advice on construction in compliance with national law and these Statutes;
(d) the management and maintenance of the buildings, roads, drains, parks and gardens of the University and their designs and drawings;
(e) the acquisition and allocation of housing for employees of the University;
(f) the construction and maintenance of residential facilities for students;
(g) the management and control of land use and the maintenance of records on all land transactions entered into by and on behalf of the University;
(h) the provision of valuation services;
(i) the management, control and disposal of waste;
(j) the provision of fumigation and other pest control services;
(k) the discharge of any other assignments that the Registrar shall deem necessary.
(3) The Director of Works and Physical Development may resign from office by notice in writing to the Council through the Vice Chancellor in accordance with the terms and conditions of his appointment.
(4) The Director of Works and Physical Development shall hold office for four (4) years on first appointment and is eligible for another term only, provided that no part of the second term enters his compulsory retirement age.
(5) The Director of Works and Physical Development may only be removed from office for good cause and in accordance with the instrument of appointment.
(6) The provisions for the removal of the Vice Chancellor from office shall apply to the removal of the Director of Works and Physical Development.